Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ginger_biscuit69
Megaphone

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2012 :  15:58:56  Show Profile  Click to see ginger_biscuit69's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
with festoons, they are lamped as they are put up, then delamped when packed down - the labour cost is irrevant. Never seen the lamps changed mid show either, H&S would forbid sitecrew taking a telehandler down pedestrian pathways/the odd blown lamp is no great concern - far more things to worry about.

Costing wise, you are looking at something more like £1.50/lamp trade account user of theirs at the sort of quantitys they would require. A manufactorer would never release true figures unless you were a genuine customer negotiating a real order. One company i work for buys filament lamps by the half container, at about 1.5p/lamp...

Last one is colour temperature, directivity and lumen output, filament lamps put out a nice gentle orange glow over a wide dispersion. LED's are very directional, and inherently bright white which is not pleasant. These edison type lamps [festoons are bayonette fitting btw] have a diode shining into the 'bowl', which acts as a diffuser, spreading the light out evenly and depending on lamp - the colour of the light. This in turn wastes energy. These LED 'bulbs' dont compare just yet, the type you are looking at are designed to light your living room, outside they would be lost.

Same as floodlights, the little 500w halogen floodlights similar to what you light your driveway with can be replaced by LED [still around £150 vs: £5 halogen], but the large floodlight with the discharge 250w lamps [1000w halogen equivilent] cannot be replaced with LED's cheaper than £1000/unit which isnt economical in an industry bartered down to the ground.

Energy saving CFL bulbs have started to be used, which are a realistic replacement when powered off the grid, but off a genset, still makes little difference to crysel consumption.

The solution i think is for the smaller demanding loads, such as festoon lighting and camping zones, is to embrace new technology such as these: http://www.fireflysolar.net/products. They are 4.5kva continuous = 3600w which would easily power festoons loaded with CFL lamps, leave on 24/7 or turn off during the day doesnt matter, the onboard battery banks keeps the output steady job done. These units were deployed at the Valley, powering LED floods on the showers and toilets, and CFL festoon runs all over site [then the crew camping post show when the arena gensets were taken away].

Problem with everything is budget, there are solutions out there, if people are prepared to spend the money on it. Fact of the matter is eco friendly solutions cost more, but promotors rarely will pay for this. If a festivals truely wants to be eco friendly they can, but ticket prices will go up = less punters = less/no profits. You cant expect the industry providing this kit who are already underpaid by overnegotiated greedy promotors to supply this stuff out of good will.

I hope they do find a solution, im not against it, its just being on the other side of the fence doing this work, i have a rather skewed view of the practicalities which the average punter doesnt even know exists.

[cba to explain: but festoons etc are also used for phase balancing large 3phase gensets to make them more efficient, look it up]
Go to Top of Page

gizmo_firemarshal
Support Act

155 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2012 :  16:28:54  Show Profile  Click to see gizmo_firemarshal's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i know about load balancing and stuff , my day job is as a technical stage manager and i have just tryed to word it so people with a non technical background can read , the festoons i have Edison fittings but you can get them with other fittings there are infarct led products out there with warm color m same color quality as standard incandescent lights Phillips only released it on the 12th April thou and regarding taking the bulbs out of the festoons and putting them back in on each event is a task you wouldn't need to do with there bulb as the bulb is made from durable plastic and you could put it in the creates as is . it acts the same way a normal bulb works , i only mentioned festoon lighting because i know the flood lights are as you say expensive , also i am actually a genuine customer of Phillips so that's why i got that price
Go to Top of Page

gizmo_firemarshal
Support Act

155 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2012 :  16:31:06  Show Profile  Click to see gizmo_firemarshal's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
but Energy saving CFL are bad for are planet and there cost any company with large amounts of them to be recycled
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
DC Site Services Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.02 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000