New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

GavLeeds2008
Walkie-talkie

66 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2009 :  04:32:07  Show Profile  Visit GavLeeds2008's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So flying to Rockness is not so great an idea, but can be partially justified if I dont have a hot breakfast roll onboard!? :lol:
Go to Top of Page

Rob
Support Act

Kazakhstan
445 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2009 :  18:28:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jinovich
Well the idea of a central battery point wouldn't work based upon those points you have raised if you factor in the costs as a business to basically employ a delivery team to deliver charged batteries then it would probably cost more to be green than it would mean that most events wouldn't employ it (as at the end of the day it is a business).

Also I am not sure if it is even technically practical, solar energy conversion efficiency is poor last time I checked (which in all fairness was about 4 years ago). I mean it is ideal for those lower powered electronics such as radios or torches but items bigger than that would require a very large solar panel. Especially as the batteries require such a high current and voltage and the effects of light intensity would give such a variable energy output.

I think in terms of going green the best thing we can do as a company is try and reduce our energy consumption. Have kettles instead of water urns (boil the water as we need it). Remove charged batteries from the chargers.

Alternatively maybe we can try and use kinetic energy, install small dynamo generators in the clickers and turnstiles at glasto every click provides enough energy to power the pyramid stage lights for 0.5 secs or something like that .

Fit the supervisors and chaperones tabbards with pedometers that can generate electricity as they walk maybe to charge their radios or torch.

Taking this to a national level of mad scientist, do the same for every roundabout (is that what they are called?) in children's parks in the UK so mum and dad power the street light by spinning little Timmy for 15 minutes.

Run marathons in giant hamster wheels that can generate electricity, solves the issue of traffic jams, road closures etc. Get prisoners to do the same I mean what else do they do with their day?

These are all the greener energy ideas I have pondered about whilst I have had a spare moment. Usually after hearing another person tell me how I will cry in 2025 due to global warming.

If someone would hurry up and invent the perpetual motion machine then we could solve this green energy issue once and for all!

You wouldn’t have a delivery team, I would be like when you work small shows. Or come to think about it how Reading often worked before there were batteries all over the place and there wasn’t a supervisor about to drive them out from control to you. Ie supervisors or runners would be sent to grab batteries from the central point. A driver each team would probably end up doing a couple of circuits of the site.
I have used solar chargers for AA batteries before and they worked fine (although I know that theres a big different between them and our radio batteries) but in the green filds at glasto you can have your phone charged by solar power…
Do you think that a urn uses more water than a kettle? I would have thought that a kettle being constantly boiled (as it would) would end up using more energy than an urn just keeping the water at a constant high temperature?
Go to Top of Page

Jin
DCSS

United Kingdom
526 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2009 :  19:39:05  Show Profile  Visit Jin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rob
[quote]
Do you think that a urn uses more water than a kettle? I would have thought that a kettle being constantly boiled (as it would) would end up using more energy than an urn just keeping the water at a constant high temperature?

OH I understand now rob, if there was an efficient way to charge the batteries using renewable energy then that would be a great idea. The supervisors or runners could stock up on a number of charged batteries pre-shift from the central location then distribute them as needed when on shift.

In terms of the water urn I am not too sure, too many variables, really it would depend on the requirement of the hot water. If we don't require a lot of hot water (eg, 20 cups of tea a day in the compound) then I think it would be more efficient to use a kettle as you are only heating the water you require.

However if it were a crew cafe type environment where the demand for boiled water is high then the urn would be much better. I don't know how much the kettles/urns in the various compounds are used so I suggested it theoretically may work out that an urn is the optimum solution due to demand.

Still think that leaving the charged batteries in the dock is a waste of energy.
Go to Top of Page

Mark
DCSS

United Kingdom
755 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2009 :  20:13:48  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kettles vs Urns - I haven't done any research although I know that when a generator is tripped it's often due to a kettle being flipped on.

As far as solar power - it's not all that. To replace the current global demand for power I believe we'd need to cover the equivalent surface area of the state of California with solar panels.
Go to Top of Page

Amymeister
Walkie-talkie

United Kingdom
53 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2009 :  01:59:27  Show Profile  Visit Amymeister's Homepage  Click to see Amymeister's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
There's plenty of parts of the world large enough and empty enough to do that ...... you might be on to something here!!
Go to Top of Page

Rob
Support Act

Kazakhstan
445 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2009 :  13:42:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark
Kettles vs Urns - I haven't done any research although I know that when a generator is tripped it's often due to a kettle being flipped on.

As far as solar power - it's not all that. To replace the current global demand for power I believe we'd need to cover the equivalent surface area of the state of California with solar panels.

Yeah kettles take a surprisingly large amount of power.
Re them tripping generators> I remember working on a site once and we had a cabin we were sharing with another crew which had a heater and kettle in it. It was hooked hooked up to a tower light and it would trip if you had both on.
However no matter how many times I explained this to the night guys from the other crew they never seemed to understand it. I would see the tower light go out then I would hear my name called I would go over to the cabin and they would go "its broken again" and I would say "did you turn the kettle on?" and they would look at me blankly and say yes. I would go through the explanation again, they would say they understood. I would go and restart the generator, then in about 20 mins I would see it trip again. Repeat. Luckily the shift times ment I only worked with them for 2 hours a night.

Edited by - Rob on 17/05/2009 13:47:54
Go to Top of Page

Jin
DCSS

United Kingdom
526 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2009 :  00:04:09  Show Profile  Visit Jin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark
when a generator is tripped it's often due to a kettle being flipped on.

Hmm tripping generators is a good enough reason not to use kettles.

Size of california huh? I was expecting it to be a lot larger for the global demand for power solar efficiency must have come a long way since.
Go to Top of Page

gizmo_firemarshal
Support Act

155 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2011 :  16:05:12  Show Profile  Click to see gizmo_firemarshal's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
well you could somehow harness peoples Flatulance for boiling the water i would try it but im not aloud to get my chemistry set out, as On average, a person produces about half a liter of gas per day, distributed over an average of about fourteen daily farts. as farts contain methane and hydrogen there could be some logistical concerns as methane and hydrogen, both of are flammable gases
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
DC Site Services Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.02 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000