Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

mark - s
Support Act

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2010 :  20:00:37  Show Profile  Visit mark - s's Homepage  Click to see mark - s's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Litter vs Traffic vs Safety Stewarding

So you want to know which would be more fun and which would be more profitable, you want to know which is the easiest and which will let you see more bands.

well I'm going to try to help you with my experience of each.

Litter: -
[*] Usually 8-12 hour shifts operating day/night.
[*] Working in groups of 2 - 4 or more depending on the task
[*] Strange but fun jobs
[*] Sometimes dirty work but you are provided with equipment.
[*] Occasionally hard work (moving bins) but anyone can do it
[*] Some of the random things that happen when working litter can have you laughing all day.
[*] Meeting new people - the people you meet will be from all walks of life and of all ages, the vast majority of which will get on with everyone.
[*] More likely to see bands though it often may be only part of the set.
[*] Some people may have backstage access so backstage areas may be cleaned.
[*] Generally paid more than in other roles due to the extra shifts worked after the event is over.

Traffic: -
[*] Usually 12 hour shifts day / night however this is not always the case.
[*] Diverse number of roles (car parking, directing, gate control)
[*] Usually working in a team though some positions may be alone.
[*] Can be physical work such as pushing cars out the mud.
[*] Varied work intensity, it could be busy/quiet depending on the time of day.
[*] Lots of customer interaction

Safety Stewarding: -
[*] Usually 12 hour shifts split into day and night shift.
[*] Frequently working in groups of 2 or sometimes more.
[*] Important role in keeping customers safe by monitoring campsites.
[*] Good view of the event.
[*] Lots of customer interaction.

Basically you will have to think for yourself what sort of person / worker you are and try to match your personality to the job, however you may also get just as much out of it by not being in your comfort zone.

If you have anymore questions post here and I will try to answer them for you.

Also if anyone has anything to add just post it or PM me and I will add it to the post.

Mark

Edited by - Jin on 19/04/2010 19:42:39

Jin
DCSS

United Kingdom
526 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2010 :  20:53:51  Show Profile  Visit Jin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow thanks for this mark its nice of you to share your experience so that those who are new can make an informed decision.

I must say that I am impartial to traffic or litter but in my personal opinion I find litter a bit more enjoyable than traffic as the job may be a bit rubbish but the people you work with makes it all the more enjoyable plus the food stalls are usually really nice to you .

For more information on job roles and descriptions at DC Site Services please follow the link below: http://www.dcsiteservices.com/faq/faq_category.asp?categoryID=2

Edited by - Jin on 15/04/2010 21:01:31
Go to Top of Page

FC
DCSS Moderator

United Kingdom
244 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2010 :  20:01:59  Show Profile  Visit FC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
... i have to disagree with Jin... to an extent i love traffic plus you get to work with some fab people doing traffic to (all the best ones lol) you also get to meet alot of people ie customers and staff from other agencies i agree with Jin on the fact that its the people that make the job enjoyable! no matter what job you pick you will meet some fab/loopy/interesting people and they will make your festival
Go to Top of Page

ologyannie
Walkie-talkie

62 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2010 :  09:11:11  Show Profile  Visit ologyannie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
All jobs are great because of the people you work with.

Edited by - Jin on 20/04/2010 11:03:53
Go to Top of Page

becky may
Portaloo

1 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2010 :  13:21:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been given the position of clicker but cant figure out what this is, can anyone enlighten me please
x
Go to Top of Page

dankneen
Megaphone

United Kingdom
34 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2010 :  15:02:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its counting people in and out of the festival.
Go to Top of Page

ukdannyb
Watchtower

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2010 :  14:58:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dankneen
its counting people in and out of the festival.

How many clickers work on each gate?

How closely do their figures match?!!?
Go to Top of Page

Rob
Support Act

Kazakhstan
445 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2010 :  18:37:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Two work each gate - one counts out one counts in.
Go to Top of Page

psf
Portaloo

8 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2010 :  14:29:43  Show Profile  Visit psf's Homepage  Reply with Quote
never done clicking, I've always really enjoyed stewarding though. Traffic can be good as well. I'd like to do litter at big chill, have to wait and see.
Go to Top of Page

Rob from Leeds
Watchtower

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2011 :  21:08:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got a couple of questions about the whole thing, mostly about how much we'll be working. So for Glasto we have to be available from 18-28 June, how many shifts does that mean we'll do? Does it depend on the job, festival, etc?

And do we get asked which role we want once we've been offered a position?
Go to Top of Page

Jin
DCSS

United Kingdom
526 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2011 :  22:00:54  Show Profile  Visit Jin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rob from Leeds
So for Glasto we have to be available from 18-28 June, how many shifts does that mean we'll do? Does it depend on the job, festival, etc?

And do we get asked which role we want once we've been offered a position?

Hi Rob from leeds

Glastonbury is a funny one due to the vast numbers of staff.

Based from last year,

There is usually a small team of staff that go early and work for 8 shifts. However the majority of staff won't arrive till approx 4 days later and work 5 shifts.

The number of shifts depend upon the job role and festival litter staff will work more shifts due to the post show clean up, traffic and steward staff are usually only required for the show days.

For glastonbury, the last 2 years we have been asked what role we wish to do this is because some people are experienced dcss glastonbury staff or they have a preference and DC try to accommodate where they can.

For the other shows there are ways you can swap your job role on-site but this isn't always possible. I can't remember if you know your role before you accept or not somebody else will hopefully be able to tell you.
Go to Top of Page

Rob from Leeds
Watchtower

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2011 :  12:07:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ta!
Go to Top of Page

angelsoul
Megaphone

United Kingdom
34 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2011 :  12:15:38  Show Profile  Visit angelsoul's Homepage  Click to see angelsoul's MSN Messenger address  Send angelsoul a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
bring on my towers is all i say ;)
Go to Top of Page

jthorne87
Portaloo

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2011 :  20:41:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey! This is a very helpful post!
Can I ask how many shifts you usually have to do? - Cos it'd be a shame to miss all the music at the festivals.
e.g. whats latitude or reading like?
Go to Top of Page

Rob
Support Act

Kazakhstan
445 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2011 :  00:14:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You work every day but it depends on the show when those days are. So with a stewarding or traffic event that’s normally days that the public are on site but with litter you will also work after they have left on the cleanup. At Reading you work Wednesday - Monday inclusive. You wont miss all the music though as the shifts are normally 8-8 or 9-9 so you get to see either the headliners or a lot of the acts in the day.
Go to Top of Page

Speedtouch
Watchtower

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2011 :  23:16:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just asking; Reading has been confirmed for me on PAAM but my group is listed as 'Crew'. Also the tax form isn't up there yet so am I right to assume this means the groups haven't been assigned yet?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
DC Site Services Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.02 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000